Right-of-Way Permits

Permit Requirements

Any individual or contractor who works in the city right-of-way needs to obtain a permit from the Engineering Division. Permits are required for:
  • Drive approaches
  • Monitoring wells and dumpsters
  • Sewer
  • Sidewalks
  • Sprinklers


A bond is also required for pavement cuts, curb work, and digging in the street. The contractor must be prequalified or provide a Performance and Guarantee Bond (PDF).

Water Service Partnerships

For any right-of-way work involving water services, please contact the Water Department at 517-788-4090. Industrial users must also contact the Wastewater Treatment Plant for authorization at 517-788-4075.

Permit Documents