The City of Jackson is making landlords aware of changes coming to the way rental properties are registered and inspected. Starting July 1, 2022, the City of Jackson Community Development Department is moving to a three year cycle for conducting Non-Owner Occupied Residential Property (NOORP) housing inspections. All properties must be registered and appropriate fees paid by July 1, 2022.
If you no longer own a NOORP property, have an immediate family member residing in it rent free, or now use it as a primary residence, please inform the City of Jackson so database information can be updated. We look forward to continuing our partnership to help protect your investment in the City while ensuring your tenants have safe and sanitary housing.
Here's a breakdown of what the City Council-approved changes mean for rental property owners:
- The NOORP registration form has been condensed to confirm current ownership, property manager, and/or responsible local agent information. The form can be viewed and downloaded from the City website. Please submit the form with appropriate registration fees by Friday, July 1, 2022.
- Your non-owner occupied residential property will only need to be registered every three (3) years rather than two (2).
- The Certificate of Compliance associated with the next inspection cycle for your non-owner occupied residential property will remain in effect for three (3) years after the initial inspection date rather than two.
- The City of Jackson is returning to a set fee structure rather than charging an hourly rate, allowing you to better budget for this cost of doing business.
- Inspection payments will be pre-pay and can be made:
- In person on the third floor of City Hall
- Mailed to the Community Development Department at 161 W. Michigan Ave. Jackson, MI 49201. (Make checks payable to City of Jackson)
- Paid online at the City of Jackson BS&A website.