A busy street that connects Downtown Jackson to several residential neighborhoods is back open after a construction project. Greenwood Avenue from Morrell to Griswold streets was closed for nearly three months for a street resurfacing, intersection realignment and sidewalk repair project.
Greenwood Avenue reopened to traffic on Tuesday, Aug. 30 after being shut down since early June. Prior to the construction project, this 1 mile section of Greenwood was in a deteriorating condition with numerous potholes and uneven sidewalks. The following improvements have been made to this residential and commercial corridor:
- New street surface.
- Intersection with First Street realigned for better traffic flow.
- Broken and hazardous sidewalks replaced with new concrete.
- New sidewalk ramps updated to make them more accessible for people with disabilities.
- Updated traffic signage installed to meet current safety standards.
- New sidewalk installed from Third Street to Griswold Street. This stretch did not have a sidewalk on the east side of the street prior to construction.
With the street back open to traffic, further cleanups and tree planting will be done to further improve this corridor. In 2020, Greenwood Avenue from Mason Street to Morrell Street was reconstructed. This means the entire length of the street has been rejuvenated by the City of Jackson.