Closures & Cancellations
How the City of Jackson is Responding with Closures and Cancellations
City leaders have taken the following actions to combat the spread of Coronavirus in the community:
- Jackson City Hall and the Jackson Police Department are closed to the public until further notice. A drop box is provided in the lobby of City Hall for residents to submit payments and paperwork. Checks or money orders are advised over cash, as they are safer forms of payment. City staff are working during remotely at this time, but are still responsive to phone calls and emails. Staff who work in critical operations (police, fire, water, utilities) are still reporting to work.
- Housing and business inspections have been suspended until further notice.
- All recreation programs have been cancelled until further notice. The Boos Community Center is also closed to the public during this time. The Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center is already closed due to construction.
- All playgrounds, picnic shelters, and sports courts in the City of Jackson are closed until further notice. Parks and trails remain open. However, officials encourage residents to use caution while in these public spaces and practice social distancing.
- Jackson City Council meetings will continue but with limitations on attendance. Residents can still participate by submitting comments to the City Clerk’s Office, and watching live broadcasts on the City’s Facebook page, website and Comcast Cable Channel 21.
- All in-person City of Jackson board and commission meetings have been cancelled until further notice. Some meetings have continued to be held virtually.
- Special events have been postponed.
- Water shut offs have been suspended until further notice to aid hand washing and overall public health.
- While City business will continue, non-essential City departments are encouraged to work with a remotely with a limited staff. Time off is allowed for employees to self-quarantine or care for family members.
- Employee travel outside the Jackson area is suspended. Any employees who have recently traveled outside the country are in self-quarantine.